The White House

The White House

Friday, January 16, 2009

Looking at the Sky on Friday



I was sitting at the computer and saw a yellow glow out the window. My heart skipped a beat and my first reaction was that the upstairs was on fire. I ran to the door to see the most beautiful golden skies. Of course, it was perfect for Sky Watch Friday.




The sun was coming up where you see the bright glow down the power line.



The sun reflected on the clouds giving the yellow glow to the snow below. It felt like I was standing in the middle of a dream world.








The sun isn't really hitting the tops of those trees...it's just the light bouncing all around from clouds to snow to clouds again.






And, of course, I couldn't just pick one photo to share! Again, the bright spot in the sky is just reflection...the sun is actually coming up at the bottom of the photo over the hill.




(Yes, that would be my Halloween scarecrow next to my Christmas tree. Uh, maybe I should get out and do some work in the yard! :)




Our wondrous 85 degree weather change due to the Chinook winds that have blown in I now have this in my yard!




We've gone from -45 to +40 in just a couple days. Of course, we still have tons of snow, but around the house where the water is dripping off the roof puddles are forming. Puddles with ice underneath and all around. While I enjoy walking outside without a coat on, it sure is a mess. No worries, though. This is Alaska. The temperature will drop down. It will snow more. We are months away from Spring. Excuse me while I go out and bask in the warmth we have now!

15 comments:

Linnea said...

Hi,
Those are just wonderful SWF shots. I don't know which one I like best. Really lovely, especially with the bare trees in the foreground. You live in a wonderful spot. Very picturesque. Greetings from California.

Patti said...

Gorgeous sky photos ~ now that is a huge temperature change. At least it went in the right direction, up!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh my gosh, it's in the 60's here and i am freezing! your photos are wonderful. thanks for visiting me!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...these are positively some of the best photos you have posted! WOW! Nice work.

Linda Jacobs said...

All that cold weather is now here in NH! Thanks a lot!

Your sky pictures are gorgeous! What an amazing sky!

Just a Texas Gal said...

I enjoyed the pictures. I don't know if I would be able to deal with such extremes. Of course I live in Texas and we do have weather changes, warm one day- 65 and the high the next day low 40's. Nothing to compare to Alaska. What wonderful views, thanks for sharing.

Ralph said...

Above the blues in the sky, the sky almost appears to be on fire. Nice!

In th lower 48, it does seem that there is much complaining. Yet your outlook is great. It's one thing to not like winter due to the cold. Yet you have a great perspective to enjoy the rare winter's warmth. Excellent!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Beautiful photos, Gayle. I used to love the chinooks that blew through Montana. From snow to thaw in hours!! Thankfully I was never living in the flood zones!!!!

Thanks for sharing!! Keep warm!

Anonymous said...

Amazing series. I've never been to Alaska and now, oh wow, I wish I'd seen these in person. I like to paint as well as photograph. Thanks for sharing.

Mo said...

Gorgeous photos!! Thanks for sharin' 'em!

storyteller said...

Amazing Sky Photos ... just BEAUTIFUL! I'm late in visiting because I was away from home all day yesterday, but I shared twice ... once at Happily Retired Gal and the other at Sacred Ruminations, including a bit of Haiku as usual.
Hugs and blessings,

Tink *~*~* said...

Looks like a fire in the sky - stunning! That rivals anything I've seen in Florida, and that's saying something.

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Tina said...

the pics feels chilly, but yet the skies are so beautiful. what a strange but cool combo ;)

Jess said...

The pictures are great, as always. You must feel like it's summer with that drastic temperature change!

Renee said...

What gorgeous pictures! The sky was breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.