Once the ditch line was done I wanted to finish burning the rest of the lawn, but had a few no-burn days due to wind advisories. I did the bulk of the work Sunday and tonight, and can finally say I'm finished. Of course, I forgot to take a photo so that you'll get tomorrow. I burnt the dead grass, raked it and then used the leaf blower to get rid of the debris. Next comes the fertilizer, water and green grass!
I would like to note that this is not a family project. My honey is just holding the flame for me so I could take a photo.
In fact, while I'm slaving away the kids are out getting muddy on dirt bikes.
And playing around on the ice.
They can also be found sitting by the fire, riding scooters or eating, but they most certainly will not be found burning, raking or blowing. I'm pretty sure I have sole ownership of the lawn.
Little Miss wanted to try out her bike without training wheels. Poor dad...up and down the driveway. It didn't take too many trips for Olivia to realize isn't wasn't going to be as easy as she thought.
My great-niece Jadyn spent Friday and Saturday night with us since her sister Justise was playing in a basketball tournament and it would have meant a lot of time sitting around the gym. It was nice to have all the cousins together to play.
I ran out of planting containers and have been quite mopey about the whole deal. I really don't want to spend anymore money on materials, but couldn't find anything suitable to use. I still have many seeds that haven't been put in the dirt, and really, they are several weeks behind and it is probably pointless. I do a lot of pointless stuff. Anyhow, I spent a few minutes reading blogs this morning and came across the making of newspaper pots. I had completely forgotten about this so I set to googling. I found a tutorial that didn't require the purchase of the official gadget and set to using up our recycling materials. Olivia was more than happy to help.
First she tore the newspaper into strips and then rolled it around a bottle.
The ends were folded over and the paper slid off the bottle. Next she used the cinnamon sugar sprinkler to smash the inside flat.
A little dirt was placed in the bottom and packed tight with a hockey stick. Lord knows after all those years of hockey we have enough sticks lying around to make a boat and float away. Then Olivia filled up the pots with dirt.
The tray was filled and Lucas showed up in time to put the seeds in.
All watered and on the shelf. According to what I read these pots will hold together for 8-10 weeks, and I only need them to make six. When transplant time comes I can just plop the whole thing in the ground and let it decompose. No need to ever buy pots again! :) Next winter I can make them while watching movies and be all ready for Spring because I do have to admit it is a very time consuming process especially with little helpers.
Well, here I am after midnight again. I am beat from all that yard work. I spent some time blowing leaves, etc. from around the pool, but apparently the first batch of mosquitoes have hatched. I must have had a swarm of 50 around me. I fought it about an hour and gave up. Now I'm chewed to bits! Little buggers. Time to hit the shower and bed. It will be 6:00am before I want it to be!
Oh...good news. Nick's first blood test indicated he had mono, but the second test confirmed he does not. Yea! He also had an eye exam this morning and his eyes are top notch. I love good news!