The White House

The White House

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Getting Closer to Zero

The day started off with the same old cold we've been having for awhile now, but later in the night it actually started to warm up. Woohoo! It's 11:30pm and up to a -1.8. Maybe tomorrow will bring temperatures above zero!

Drove Elijah in to "detention" and took these pulling back in to the driveway.


Everything is so frosty.

This afternoon when it was -16.8 degrees below zero the children insisted on playing outside. I explained how cold it was, but no one was listening. We began the long process of bundling up so they could go out to play. I didn't time it, but I am positive they lasted less than five minutes. I guess a little fresh air is better than none.

Lucas loves his xBox Indiana Jones game so Dad ordered the newest edition to the Indiana Jones saga on Netflix. Lucas was glued to it. Isn't his hand in his pocket the cutest little thing?

I sat by the fire and attempted one of my New Year's Resolutions: teach myself to crochet. I can already tell you crocheting sucks. First off, it is not arthritis friendly and my thumbs hurt so badly. Secondly, the stitching has to be exactly or it looks like crap. It is much easier to make same-size stitches when knitting than it is when crocheting. I'm already guessing I'll make one blanket and never crochet again.

The boys are gone...are they ever home? After serving detention Elijah went to Bean's house (for his birthday). They went to the Ice Dogs hockey game, but Elijah will be spending the night at Jordan's house 'cause Bean started throwing up and went home.

Nick went to the UFC fights with Nick K. and is now spending the night with Richard. With social lives like that it is a full time job keeping track of them!

Em and I are hanging out with the babies. (I've got to quit calling them that. They are 5 and 3!). Dad fell asleep on the concrete in front of the fire. Eventually he is going to wake up sore beyond belief.

Tomorrow we will finish up a bedroom (minus the carpet) for Lucas, and get him moved in to it. (Carpet will have to wait for the cash cow to come home). One of my Resolutions is to finish remodelling/building all six bedrooms by the end of the year. (Really, I'd like it done before school starts). Lucas will be the first step in the right direction.

3 comments:

Martha said...

It may be cold, but your photos are beautiful! Emily looks so cold in the picture of her. Good for you for trying crocheting. I learned to knit once, but could never fix my mistakes. I happened to live in VA and my mother in PA at the time, and I kept UPS in business sending it back and forth. I broke up with the guy I was knitting it for before it was completed. My mom finally finished it. She is still knitting strong at 85 (she crochets too, she got the crafty gene, but did not pass it on to me!)

Stay warm!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Good grief! You do have your hands full keeping track of those boys!!

My DH still refers to our 10 year old as "the baby" when he's talking to people. I don't get it!!

Keep warm! And keep Homer off that concrete!

Janie said...

Your frosty land looks beautiful. The kids were brave to go out when it was so cold, even for a few minutes!
Good luck with the remodeling. Getting even one room finished must seem like a great accomplishment.