The White House

The White House

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Smoky Skies

I promised Emily we would go for a bike ride so off to town we went. She rode with Olivia and Lucas while I walked since the boys broke my bike last summer, my money tree was stolen and I can't afford a new one.




By the time we reached the end of our ride their little faces were very flushed. Maybe 87 degrees is a bit too warm for biking.

Ice cream and smoothies made everything all better!
Our friends, Jen and Steve, stopped by last night. Here Steve is taking Daisy back to her pen after a little grazing in the ditch.
After some coaxing Jen finally got my shy little girl to sit in her lap.
Believe-it-or-not, the air was actually clear at our house. It was quite nice out so be roasted marshmallows around the fire pit.
What happy little people!
Roxie loved the lap time by the warm fire while Ruby ran around the yard.
This photo is from June 30th. Nice blue skies and fresh air.
This is from today. Look close...the hill disappears. I guess it's a good thing we enjoyed the yard last night. Who knows when we'll be able to sit outside again!
Ash is falling from the sky and here it is building up on the truck window.
Hard to believe we are on the down hill slide to winter and my flowers will soon be frozen. I heard geese flying over last night getting the heck outta Dodge.


For those of you curious about the fires in my area you can read this Newsminer article and check our air quality. We are currently at the Very Unhealthy level. The only thing left after that is Hazardous. For you really smart people our index is PM -2.5 Particulate. I'm not that smart, but I can tell you my throat hurts.

Our air is horribly unhealthy and the forrest is burning, but I think the worst part is that we can't enjoy these last few weeks of summer. There won't be many more 70+ degree days. It's already down to low 40's at night. In a flash Summer 2009 will be over...

6 comments:

Patty said...

I cannot believe how big Olivia is getting!!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Yes, the smoke from forest fires is awful!!

It looks like you are getting some darkness at night now. So obviously the seasons are turning a bit.

School starts here on Monday. Have to say, my DD is more than ready to go back!!

Then comes Sanibel in October!! Woo-hoo!! We are seriously in need of a real vacation!! Lots of travel this summer, but lots of emotional stuff, too, with my FIL's illness and passing. So, we are looking forward to island time!!

anymommy said...

We start thinking about winter about now too, probably not as much as you, but I know the heat will have turned on at night in the next three weeks! Where does the time go?

The kids are darling, as usual.

Gennasus said...

How sad that you have such a short summer and that the fires have such an impact. I can't imagine what it is like living with that smoke. And I'm so glad that we still(hopefully) have a bit more summer to come. I even got my swim in the sea today. Mind you, the nights are fair drawing in, as they say.

Corey~living and loving said...

such a shame about the fires. I do hope it gets under control.

Janie said...

I'm glad you got a good day for biking and ice cream and roasting marshmallows with friends. Scary to see the ash piling up on the ledges.
Hope the air quality improves soon.