The White House

The White House

Friday, June 19, 2009

That Brings Us to Thursday

If you are here to catch up you might want to scroll down to Tuesday or you'll be reading this all backwards. Although I tend to do a lot of things backwards so that's okay, too.

Thursday Dad left for Pogo Mine again. When he was done there he headed on to Valdez about 400 miles from here (the opposite direction of Prudhoe Bay where he was on Wednesday) to fix a plasma cutter (or something like that). Hopefully he'll be home late Friday night.

Emily and I thought we'd take some photos of the chickens to show you how big they are getting. Yes, Dad bought us batteries for the cameras!!

Here's the Barred Rock laying hen. There are ten, but I suspect two or three of them are roosters. They are very friendly and curious. I already like them way more than the Rhode Island Reds I've had in the past.


All the rest are Bantams that we (hopefully) we get to show at the State Fair in August. This is the Silver Seabright. This will be quite a fancy bird when it is done growing.

This is the Buff Silkie. Probably the most quiet and gentle bird of them all.

Here's the Partridge Cochin. Quite a beak on this one.

This is the Red Cochin. She is also fairly gentle.

Here is the Splash Rose Comb.

This guy looks like a Road Runner, is extremely fast, is the only one that isn't friendly and we had a heck of a time catching and photographing him. This was not a good choice of bird. It's actually pretty mean to the others. Not sure this will be a forever home.

The Golden Laced Polish.
They aren't completely feathered out yet and still have a lot of growing to do, but they are starting to look like much prettier birds now.


Here's a couple of my hanging baskets. Soon they'll get to hang along the fence.

All but the last garden bed has been planted. Somewhere I lost motivation. Don't you just love my petunia planters?

I love the sun and the sun late at night is the best!

I think this was around ten or eleven at night.



Here's my home and front yard that I spend so much time working on. I don't have my official count done yet, but there are around 1000 plants put into those beds. The fences posts will have hooks for my planters.






At midnight we were roasting marshmallows.
This is the good life.

10 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

your yard is stunning. I know that you envy my time with my camera....but seriously, Gayle you spend three thousand more hours on your yard than I do on my silly photography. I am blown away by your hard work ethic.

Gennasus said...

All your hard work has been well worth it - everything is looking so great!

I am very envious of the variety of hens you have, they make our five look pretty plain. Can't wait to see how your lot shape up, especially the Seabright, I love them.

anymommy said...

Gorgeous yard, I love all those flowers. Marshmellows at midnight are so much fun. But, chickens scare me. When you say not gentle, I cringe. I couldn't pick up a gentle chicken.

Tink *~*~* said...

I like the golden laced one - pretty color scheme, reminds me of autumn leaves.

Tink *~*~*

Queen-Size funny bone said...

it looks like a national park. your hard work pays off.

Tootie said...

You are one hard working girl! And, all that work is certainly paying off! I love rocks around all your beds and the flowers are so pretty and the lawn looks so green.

B said...

1000 plants???

I have exactly five potted plants and some sunflowers...lol, and I have 2 acres of land...too funny.

Call me lazy.

Your yard looks great and I love reading about how much time you enjoy with your kids.

Unknown said...

Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Fairbanks. I love your blog. Thirty years ago we were in just your position (five children, two acres of garden, keeping goats, chickens, duck, etc.) Still have five children, plus eleven grandchildren (some nearly grown up), but now the two of us live in a small house with a tiny garden, and it's as much as we need. Glad to say we see a lot of the children, plus grandchildren. We're in Eastern England. We wish you well. Mike and Ann.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Did I mention earlier that your yard, garden, house look AMAZING??!! You work so very hard and it shows!!

Those chicks are sure growing up. Curious to see them fully feathered.

Can I join you all for midnight marshmallows sometime??

And yes.... I'm one of the ones who dialed in to "catch up". I went back to Tuesday as recommended. I think just about the time I catch up on everything I'll be flying out of here again!! You gotta love summer!!

Unknown said...

Wow!You put me to shame when it comes to gardening.I saw a pink flamingo there.Yea!!!!
Funny,seeing the sun shining at midnite,and you guys roasting marshmallows.