The White House

The White House

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Marathon Time!

Am I running a marathon? I laugh at the possibility! No, this is just a marathon post. I just can't get myself to leave the sun to sit on the computer so my photos are piling up. Today I'll share some tidbits about the White House.

This is Daisy the sheep. I don't even know what kind of sheep, but she's my pet. Because everyone wakes up and says, "I think I'll buy a sheep today". Well, I do things like that and she's living proof. I was asked if I shear her myself. Yes, I do. They will do it at the farm I bought her from, but I don't know the price. It's about 45 miles from my house and I just don't see her sitting still in the Excursion very nicely. I use a pair of scissors and it takes about five hours. Normally, she would be done by now, but there have been distractions. Rest assured she has shade and is content. Besides the mosquitoes can't get to her!

Here are the chicks. I could look them up and tell you what they are, but I really don't have time. When they feather out I'll do another post. There are three of these tiny guys.

There are five of these.

Five of these made it.

This is the laying hen and there are ten of these.


There are five of this one. There is also one of almost the exact same coloring with an extra tan stripe down its back. I ordered five of each breed and ten layers so that is a breed that I lost four of.
There are 7 of these.


Five of this little guy made it. That makes a total of 41 chickens that have survived out of the 48 that arrived in the mail. I expected a 10% loss so I lost a few more than I would have liked.

Every day I walk into the greenhouse and this basket has two or three new flowers. Amazing growth rate.



We finished cleaning the pool which means water hauling time! Mr. White is the resident trucker.


I drive by this view 472 times a day (or so it seems) and never notice the beauty. I guess I'm too busy watching the road for moose, dogs and people. Kind of neat to be the passenger for a change.
Down at the Watering Hole getting ready to pump in 2000 gallons at .015 cents per gallon.

Back home he backs up to the pool...

...opens the hatch....

...opens the valve (with his feet)...

...and we have water!
2000 gallons down, 28,000 to go! It takes about 50 minutes to drive down, load the water, drive home and dump it. Needless to say the pool will not be full over night!

I live in Interior Alaska. No where near the ocean. We put water in the pool and all of a sudden I have five seagulls circling overhead. I think they are lost. They can keep right on going, too, because I'm not sharing my water!
Homer hauled four loads, 8000 gallons, on Monday. That was enough to pump water to the upper pool. It took a bit to fill enough to go over the water fall.
Lucas headed to check out the little pool which is about 40 degrees so it will have to do some warming before he can swim in it.
Little Miss Olivia.



A small rodent perhaps? No, a three-year old. I was not happy.

My little helpers.

Tuesday no water was hauled. It was a day to work on Nick's car. Lucas even helped out.

Dad working on getting the smashed fender off.
Nick listening to the end of the basketball game on the radio ready to lend a hand when needed.
There's a bumper sticker here in town that reads, "Young, Angry and Poor". I think they even have some sort of festival for this down at the Ester Park. This guy fits it to a tee. He's pulling the studs out of his tires so he can use them for the summer and then get new winter tires in the fall. He's not having fun, but has learned that we do not have a money tree.

Still trying to get the garden beds built and filled. So many projects, so little time.

This is a Disco Marigold. I'm telling you, it screams Disco at me. Doesn't it you?
Lucas putting the chicks back after I cleaned their pen.

With all the attention the kids give these little guys at least one of them should end up tame!
Happy in a clean home.
So many colors!

The glow behind the greenhouse is the sun "going down". More like circling around! :)

It's raining today which for most would be a perfect day to clean the house. I, on-the-other-hand, am not deterred by rain. I'd rather shovel dirt in the rain than clean house any day of the week!

10 comments:

Terry said...

Hi
Thank you for posting all the fantastic photos .
Wow you are one busy Lady .
I had so much fun seeing all the animals,and your adorable human helpers .Hey even angry guy :)LOL .
Your sheep is beautiful.
Those little chicks are so cute, so many colors .Like your green house that is really neat.
It will be fun to see your pool again when you have it full.
Blessings of joy to you .
Happy Trails

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

I'm right there with you!! Anything in the rain is better than house cleaning!! Thanks for sharing more pics with us! Your swimming pool looks fun. Do the kids slide down the waterfall into the bigger pool? I owe you an email, Gayle!! Perhaps tomorrow I will have time to compose a whopper!!

Corey~living and loving said...

I am so curious about this pool. it is for swimming? you make it every year?
got out my calculator and about died to see nearly $4000 spent on water????? eeeekkkkkk...did I do that wrong? Water is expensive. who would have thunk it?

pattycakes said...

Gayle...what will you do with all the chickens? I know some give eggs, but do you eat the rest when they grow? I know you did this before and I remember the eggs, but don't remember what happened to the chickens after that.

Janie said...

Wow, your home will be a summertime showplace, with the greenhouse, pool, outdoor plants, livestock, and cute kids. I enjoyed all the photos!

The Old Gray Egg said...

Your greenhouse, raised beds and pool? I want 'em all. The only thing I wonder about is how your pool and Miss Gertrude will get along. Right now we have five geese with one sitting on a nest of eggs. I know of no other animal that can foul a pool or bucket of water faster than a goose. Even in the dead of winter when the ground is frozen and covered with snow, the bottom of the bucket will be full of mud from somewhere. Are you pumping and filtering your pool water? Are you going to get even with Gertrude by banning her from the pool? The kids will have a ball, I'm sure.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

you are one hardworking woman. a great mom. so how long does that water hole take to fill up?

Tootie said...

You have been a busy girl! I am amazed to see how fast your plants are growing, and how light it was at night time. Those chicks are cute as can be! The kids sure stay busy too. :-)

Snowbird said...

I loved your post and your pictures. It is a good thing that your days are so long up there or you would never get everything done. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product--the pool, the gardens etc. Love the pictures of the chicks and sheep. I was curious also--what do you do with all of the chickens when they are grown?

Leenie said...

Hello! I just wandered in from Idaho. I thoroughly enjoyed all the photos and the update on all your projects. I will try to stop by again and read some of your past posts. Good luck with the green house and the ponds and the chickens and the sheep......oh, and the angry young man and the three year old and the little beauty. :-D