The White House

The White House

Monday, August 11, 2008

Manic Monday: Boil

Last night I was thinking about boil....specifically what makes my blood boil. Things like Elijah wearing my sandals out in the mud when he has his own shoes. Or Cody leaving his dog out of the kennel all night to pee on his bedroom carpet. Or when kids are sent to bed and come back out at least a dozen times for no particular reason (or maybe it is two dozen...when there are six of them doing it it seems like every 30 seconds I hear "Mom....). There are a multitude of things that get my blood boiling like dirty clothes on the floor (worse yet, clean clothes on the floor), shoes blocking the door, trash on the floor, pee on the toilet seat, the fact that everyone's arms are broken when we get out of the van (why else would they leave all their crap in there?), completely ignoring me, fighting, whining, dvd's or video games on the floor, the list is long. Too long. So then I started thinking about how to change the boiling water to a simmer. Or how to shut it off all together. Honestly, getting boiling mad about the inconsiderate actions of the people I share a home with doesn't change their behavior. Taking away privledges doesn't change their behavior. Grounding them has no effect. Apparently, it is me who has to change. Somehow I have to take my boiling pot off the fire and go ice cold. Any ideas on how to NOT CARE? Somehow I have to not react to the senselessness and find pleasure in unnecessary work. How do I feel energized and refreshed when I am run into the ground cleaning the same things over and over and over...things that shouldn't occur in the first place. Really...seven humans, ten dogs, two goats, one sheep, four chickens, four ducks, two geese and a handful of fish can make a big mess. So how do I see the joy in it all rather than BOIL?

5 comments:

stace41971 said...

I don't know but if you figure it out please let me know the secret...as I write this I have two kids in their rooms and one behind me saying "Mom..I'm doing really well about not getting sent to my room today, aren't I?" :-P

Fairy Mae said...

I da know...I have no kids but have one hell of a temper and a VERY dysfunctional family. My family drives me crazy. So much so that I went for professional help. This is what was told to me.
1). Anticipate it. If you know its going to happen why fret. You are only wasting negative energy which is alot of energy going into being mad. You know its gonna happen so jump on it before it happens.
2). You can't change others, you can only change yourself. - This one always sticks with me.

Not sure if it will help you but now I am prepared to deal with the family crap. They haven't changed and I am forever cleaning up or making peace but at least I can recognize that.

Bridge said...

don't know the secret to stop the "boil" but empathizing here.

Rayne said...

I have no idea...
I know there are things that I do so I don't get as cranky as often and I was going to tell you all of the perfect things that I do and how well they work then I remembered the never ending pile of dishes, how hard is it to wash out a bowl and a spoon? And the crunchy staircase, what the hell did they grind into the carpet that makes it crunchy???? and the laundry, and the ... Yeah...I guess I'm the last one to pass out advice.

Lisa G said...

You've been tagged, Gayle. Drop by my blog and see what I've gotten you in to...