The White House

The White House

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Still In June!!

June 22-23
My hanging baskets beginning to fill out. I love the plastic pots so much better than the coconut baskets that dried out too quickly.

Pepper plants growing peppers sitting in 4-inch pots waiting to go in Olivia's greenhouse. Talk about failing at gardening this summer. 

Sunday was a dirt hauling day. Still trying to fill the huge hole to put up a shop and have storage space so I can have a big lawn.

 Emily helped smooth the dirt behind the new retaining wall. Big deal as manual outside labor is not her thing.

She helps when I ask, but doesn't enjoy working outside. She's an indoor girl.

I let her drive my truck on the side roads and she loved it. Not too much longer and she can get her permit, but I doubt I'll be teaching her to drive this winter. Our roads are too dangerous.

I didn't get to burn the grass this year. We went from winter to fire ban in a couple of days. The lawn spent along time looking like this and is finally just now green. It's been 80's to 90F all summer long (for the most part) and I think I really underestimated how much you have to water in temperatures like that. It's not something I'm used to. A lot of my plants were stunted and I don't have a lot of flowers this year.

Lucas and Homer playing some game shooting Nerf bullets at each other.


 I took Dew-Dawg outside. I think it was the first time in her life she'd been outdoors. He kept an eye on the sky.
 I don't know. This is so time consuming, but I haven't had to weed so it's worth it, but things aren't growing so wonderfully. Is it because the mulch is making the ground too cold? Or just that I was 3-weeks behind in planting? Or I didn't water enough? Bum summer for my gardening.

I love garden gnomes which happen to be insanely expensive here. Someday I hope to have a big collection I can leave to my Gardener Olivia.


1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

You love garden gnomes???? I should see what I can do....