The White House

The White House

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Is This All?

No, not really, but it’s all I’ve taken photos of. Well, except for what’s on my camera. We’ll have to see that tomorrow.

I mowed the front yard and the ditch line. What a chore that was. Now it’s raining and I don’t have a photo of it. When it stops raining I’ll probably have to mow again!

How long ago did I buy the Rhododendrons? Two months? The other day I said to myself, “What good are $1.00 bargain plants if you never plant them and they die”?. No good was the answer so I set to work cleaning out the bed, rototilled it, packed buckets of compost to mix in, planted the plants and topped with some of the soil I have. Then I mowed the grass.

001

002

It said to plant 5-6 feet apart. I just don’t think they’ll grow that big here. I hope I’m wrong. Shoot, I just hope they survive the winter! I also need more rocks. The dirt is right to the top.

021

Both of my Gold Dredge buckets really filled out. By the end of summer you can’t even tell what they are planted in. Here’s a link to what it is for Sue in Mexico.

003

004

These are Danvers #126 carrots. I kind of thought they were “just another carrot”, but Mr. White tells me he really likes them.

005

The other bed of assorted brands. We need to try some of them out. I’m not sure they are going to get much bigger before freezing.

006

My green onions are ready to eat and tasty. I just love nasturtiums. They seem so cheerful.

007

I have a lot of kohlrabi that should have already been picked and some is probably pretty woody, but whatever. I’m freezing it anyhow. Cook anything long enough and you can make it work! We went to the Farmer’s Market the other day and I noticed these go for $3 each.

009

A distant view of the kohlrabi (and cabbage that won’t really be cabbage) and my zinnias.

010

A little Swiss Chard left to end off the season (with more cabbage that won’t be cabbage).

011

More carrots and zinnias. This bed was planted 3 weeks after the first and I’m afraid there really isn’t much worth picking.

012

A few baby spinach leaves. We may actually get a second salad. I love spinach. Sure wish I’d had a better year growing it.

013

An even later carrot bed that is pointless. I need to just clean it out and have one bed ready for winter. Isn’t that such a beautiful chard plant? LOL That one went to seed when I was gone.

014

I may get one big zucchini this  year. Not sure it they grow like this everywhere, but in Alaska we get huge 2-foot fatties. All my others are pretty small in comparison.

015

This is where the zucchini is. The straw mulch sprouted. This was the only bed that did that.

016

They finally fill out and will be the first ones to go when the freezing starts.

018

Homer’s daughter was here tonight for dinner and a few hours of game playing with her sister and brother. They took her out to hold Emily’s rabbit.

019

I picked more cucumbers. This is 10 pounds 7 ounces of Garden Sweet.

022

I made them into 10.5 quarts of Dill Pickles (all not shown) and also made 5 pints of Bread and Butter Pickles with the Cucumbers I picked the other day. I’m now at 25.5 quarts of pickles so far this season.

025

I started by asking Homer to touch up the hole behind the bathroom door so I could paint. That led to him pulling out the toilet to rip up the linoleum that led to a trip to Lowe’s for plywood that led to a couple hours of him scrapping glue. Now it’s late and time for bed with no bathroom upstairs. (In fact, that makes two upstairs bathrooms tore up. One was tore apart 3 years ago and never put back together). Guess that will be the motivation to put things back together tomorrow so we can have one more finished room. I’m quite sure I’ve mentioned that remodeling sucks when you have a lot of kids and daily drama that prevents progress. We’ve been at it 8 years. I spent 12 years of my first marriage building from the ground up never getting close to done. I haven’t lived in a finished house in 20 years. What stress that would alleviate from my life!

*Big Brother…it is supposed to stop raining in a couple days and I’ll take photos of my flowers then. They really have grown. Wish the weather would let me enjoy them!

6 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

As per usual, you have so many gardens. So impressed with you pickle production. It's pretty cool here this morning.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Your remodeling projects sound like ours - start on one thing and before you know it, its blossomed out of control and 15 other things that need to be done. Erghghgh. It's very aggravating.

I'm impressed with all the stuff you process. Wow!

B said...

Those pickles look Yummo!

I held off of zucchini this year..always get so many. I need to get my butt berry picking...we have chokecherries in or yard and blueberries at the lake.

Hope the freezing stays away long enough to enjoy those petunias!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Gayle ~ Your produce looks GREAT, and those pickles look yummy. I hope your rhodies survive up there for you. They look really nice next to your greenhouse.

Remodeling projects are like opening a can of worms.

Have a nice week ~ FlowerLady

Tara said...

everything looks absolutely amazing, Gayle! As always!

Tink *~*~* said...

Hey sweetie - just spent some time catching up with you after having been on the go for nearly two weeks. I can't figure out why your chard grew but your spinach all but refused. Such are the mysteries of life! Anyway, I have often felt that we should have all been outfitted with a remote at birth - "pause" and "rewind" would have gotten a workout from me, for sure!

*~*~*