The White House

The White House

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Too Much Fun

The last couple of years I think I've focused too much on what we don't have and not enough on what we do have.

At 36 I was starting life over leaving behind everything I had worked so hard for.  So was my husband.  We were doing it with six kids.  Then we added two more. 

So I don't have a finished house.  No tile floors or wall-to-wall carpeting.  No big kitchen or expensive furniture. We are lacking the house to entertain in, but what we do have is a home.  A home where kids can be kids (and they aren't going to hurt anything).  A place where kids can have fun and make wonderful childhood memories.  I've never heard a single one of the kids wish they'd lived anywhere else but here so it seems not being fancy is okay.

My living room may be a  somewhat converted garage, but how many out there have a wrestling mat to go in it?

These three ran for over four hours back and forth having more fun than you can imagine.  So pretty, fancy, clean...no....damn fun..you bet! 





I wouldn't want it any other way.

9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Home is where love is, not where everything is new, finished and in it's place.

Enjoy this time together as family.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Gail said...

Nor would I.

It is wonderful that the children learn the important things in life...love, family and sharing.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

its like a big play yard

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

My daughter would totally LOVE having a wrestling mat in the house. She'd be practicing her gymnastics all over the place!! Yes, fun prevails over pretty, fancy and clean.

sue in mexico mo said...

A wrestling mat ! It looks like they were having a ball. Where did you come up with this?

RottenMom said...

And that's what I love most about you, that you wouldn't want it any other way.

My kids would love to have a wrestling mat in the living room!

Lisa L said...

this is awesome my friend. what's not to love? your kids have an incredibly fun lifestyle....free to play at whatever they want to inside..and a magical time outside in the summer. you are a wonderful mama..its not about how it *looks*..it is about how it *is*...they are safe and happy and at the end of the day? who really remembers the furnishings when one becomes an adult? the memories are all about what *happenned* inside those four (+) walls.

Janie said...

You're so right. Your kids are having fun in a loving environment. That's what is most important, and what will make happy memories for them.

thecrazysheeplady said...

That DOES look like more fun than a "formal" living room :-D.