The White House

The White House

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chopping Wood is Hard Work

See that wood?

That's the wood down in the "hole" that I need to burn. It's the only "dry" wood we have. Really, it is wet and it sucks, but at least it isn't green. Something tells me I may end up down in the hole before the winter is over.

I can't wait until that sun is high enough to clear the trees. Then it will be summer! Note to self: if we ever sell and move check out the property in the winter and see if you get any sun. We bought this house in the summer and didn't know all winter long the sun would barely make it over the mountain to my house. As a result I've fallen into a real funk lately....cold, darkness and pain in our hearts is really weighing heavy on us this winter.

I split some with this extremely heavy fireman's axe today. That thing is way to heavy for my bad back, but my son has broken two handles so far and it is what I am left with.

By the time I stacked it in the house to dry I thought I was having a heart attack. I am so out-of-shape I should be on the Biggest Loser. Oh, and while I killed myself the Wee People made this mess. Great. I love more work.

It really needs a couple days to dry out so I chopped more and brought it in. Truth be told, I should have done even more, but I was tired. Maybe tomorrow.

At least the sky was beautiful. Not beautiful enough to make me happy about being outside, but pretty enough to take a quick photo of. I am sick and tired of the cold. I know, I live in Alaska and I should be able to deal with it, but after 42 years I'm just not in the mood anymore. It's 1:00am in the morning and -15.7 F outside. It's been like this for about two weeks now. Enough is enough!



Tonight we had fried chicken, baked potatoes and corn. The only thing I took a photo of was the Rice Crispy Treats that Nick ate in about an hour. Then we were off to Elijah's basketball game.

My photos were horrible. I really didn't make an effort to take good shots tonight, and should have just left the camera home. The game was fun, he was having fun and I wish I would have focused more on catching his expressions rather than the basket. Another big win and he scored 17 points!

I leave you with a shot of Livy and Lukey watching a movie. Now I think I'll go upstairs and snuggle one of them. Six in the morning comes earlier every day!

5 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh Lady ~ You wear me out with all that you do. That chopping wood has to be the worst. Bless your heart. I hope things are brighter and lighter for you and your DH soon. You are lovingly taking care of all of them, making your home a haven for all.

FlowerLady

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...Your wood will dry out quickly now so you can have toasty fires. Why in the heck aren't those boys helping you? I can understand how you feel after living all those years in Alaska...you must run out of gas waiting for warmer weather. You need a winter vacation in a warmer place for a few days! Your sky photos are beautiful.

I must say that whatever is going on with your family is causing you great pain.
Hope you can have a better day...and don't do anymore wood!

Emily said...

I can't believe you chopped wood...that's awesome! I would have no idea how to do that.
I'm sorry you've been bummed. Dark and cold would totally do that to me too. How much light do y'all get every day?

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

I could probably handle the cold again, if I had to. But I would have such a hard time with the darkness! I would fall into a funk each winter and lose myself in it. I think the wood stove would be my favorite thing, warming me back up, keeping me company, lighting my dark word. The wood chopping, split fingers, and shoveling wood - I can certainly deal with the "flash flood" issues we are having here rather than go back to that!!

Chin up my friend!! Hugs to you all!!!

Janie said...

All that wood chopping and hauling looks like a LOT of work. At least you had a pretty blue sky to make up for lack of sun.