The White House

The White House

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Clean-Up After Hurricane Gayle

I haven't had time to blog like I used to, but there are many good reasons...

This is the garage we call home. I mean, it isn't all of our home , but it is a part we are using. We moved the living room and kitchen down to the garage last winter so the entire upstairs can be for bedrooms. We've doubled our living space to 3200 sf which just means I have more to clean!

Some might find it odd. Or not fancy enough. It suits me just fine. A home is about the people in it not what it looks like.

Anywho....

That ugly wall never got painted so I turned our home upside down to paint and rearrange. OMG was that a huge project. Not sure what I was thinking.
Well, here's what I was thinking. The television was blocking access to the many totes behind the curtain. That's where my Christmas stuff is. Figured since I had to move the TV I might as well do things right. (Yes, I have an obsession with totes. I must have 50 full of stuff. I'm obsessed with stuff, too).
The wall was painted and the house blew up. Trying to put it back together and raise five kids wasn't easy.
I managed to do it and put up decorations. Boy, am I tired.





Yep, I'm sewing again. In fact, I have about 12 different things cut out and ready to go. There are four days left in Nick's online schooling so I am helping him finish his English class. Starting 7 weeks late is tough. As soon as we are done I told him he owes me a day of babysitting so I can sew.

Dinner tonight was Pastitsio...a Greek home-style casserole. I cooked the hamburger, onion and garlic while the macaroni was boiling.

Time to add some flavor to the meat.

Next I melted butter and made the sauce.

The sauce was mixed with the egg and grated Parmesan was added.

Egg, milk and Parmesan was added to the remaining noodles and the layering began.

The dish was topped with the sauce, then cinnamon and put into the oven.

I sauteed some green onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil and Italian seasoning. Added that to asparagus, sliced strawberries in sugar, a baked potato and biscuits. Hubby loved it!
After dinner it was relaxation time. The little ones twirled until they were "bizzy". Nick and Elijah made YouTube videos from clips of themselves biking, scootering, skateboarding and snowboarding. Homer hit the sack early and I worked on my sewing. Took a few minutes for this post and I'm off to bed. I am sooo tired! December is such a busy month. We have three kids born this month, end-of-semester finals at school, Christmas and New Years Eve. By January I am spent! I hope you all are enjoying this holiday season!

11 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...you have really outdone yourself this time! And look who's cookin! You deserve great kudos.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Gayle ~ I am so proud of you. You work with what you have, are taking care of your home and family and cooking up wonderful meals too. You are an inspiration.

Have a wonderful December and Christmas.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

stace41971 said...

Wow...I totally forgive your absence from blogging...that's A LOT on your plate...try to find some time to sit and put your feet up...:)
And I give you extra EXTRA kudos for painting that wall...painting is my own personal hell (how I can get it UNDER the painting tape and on the bottoms of my feet is beyond me) so the fact that you tore your livingroom apart and painted a wall in December is grounds for a medal!

Emily said...

Wow! You have been busy! I'm always in favor of adding more living space! Are you garage doors sealed to keep it warm? That supper looks yummy!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

You've been really busy!! The end results looks fab though! I'll bet your happy with the changes too.

Pastitsio is one of my favorite dishes!! My family has made it for years. I should get out my cookbook and put one together while my folks are here over the holidays!!

Keep warm and have a Happy Holiday!!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I don't know how you do it. great accomplishments indeed

B said...

Okay you made me tired and not many ppl can do that.

I wish my totes were as nicely organized as yours..;).

Decorations looks great!! and that meal...wowsers. Still waiting on your salmon recipe.

Hope you enjoy the holiday season too.

Anonymous said...

I got tired just reading it. And trying to imagine what your day must be like.

Even the moose don't believe it and came to see for themselves. lol

Corey~living and loving said...

it looks great! lovely color. :)

I'm sooooooooooo busy sewing too. I have about 15 projects to get done before christmas. LOL

anymommy said...

I'm exhausted. You amaze me.

Janie said...

You're amazing to get so much done, Gayle.
The paint job looks great. And that dinner looks fantastic. Best of all, the kids seem to be happy through it all.