The White House

The White House

Saturday, November 21, 2009

We're Having a Cold Snap

This wasn't the temperature at my house this morning. It was actually colder. I woke to -21. Homer said it was -30 in town when he went to work. Brrrr.

The girls had a pretzel picnic while I cleaned the disaster the upstairs has become since we abandoned the kitchen and moved downstairs. Eventually we'll gut it out and build my plant room so I might as well start tossing stuff now. Honestly, I am so over remodelling, but with price of materials we won't be over it for awhile.

We had three boys in hockey for years and a lot of gear was accumulated. They've been out of the sport for a few years now so there is no point in hanging on to this stuff. I've been cleaning it to sell. Can't wait until it is all gone. There must be 40 pairs of skates in the 'area' outside my bedroom (and eight helmets, seven pairs of pants and a freakin' partridge in a pear tree). Not even sure what to call that "area". It was a dining room when we had the kitchen upstairs. Now it is a POS (pile 'o shit). Eventually it will be a sitting room at the top of the stairs that aren't there yet. Eventually.

I love when they play together nicely.

This bum sat on the couch playing video games until he went to basketball practice (for his comp team) at his school. After that the team went to watch the UAF Nanooks men's team play ball. It's 10:00pm and he just got home. Do you think he'll clean his room now? Nope. He brought a friend with him! Yes, he's spoiled. No, he doesn't really do any chores. Yes, his room is a mess. No, it won't matter once he's in his own house so I just have fun with him now! :)

The sun was huge in the sky today.

Saw this sign as I was going through town at 3:15pm.


Then I saw this guy. I can think of a lot of things to do at -24 and jogging would not be one of them.

There really was a lot of pink that faded into blue, but it just isn't as vibrant in the photo.

We made pizzas again tonight like we did for my birthday. Emily was here this time.

First is mine. It had sauce, garlic powder, basil, cheese, onions, artichokes and pepperoni. Homer's had the same plus pepper, pizza/pasta seasoning and asparagus. The other two are just cheese and pepperoni the kids made. Very delicious.

The girls bounce from one activity to another. They are trying out Emily's new Lite Brite she got for her birthday. Nick spent all day working on his online English course. He started the online courses late so he's down to 21 days to bust his butt to finish the course. He is done with the other three so he is able to focus all his time on it. I hope he can get it done. He's off at the indoor skate park now (got to have some kind of break after putting in so many hours), and the little ones are watching a movie. Soon it will be bedtime for all.

6 comments:

B said...

Even my Canadian Celsius mind understands how cold that is!

Yikes

We have no snow still...very unusual but the farmers are getting their crops off..CRAZY.

OH and the pizza looks divine!!

Lori Skoog said...

Check out that pizza!!! You are dazzling me.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

pizza and pretzels are my favorite I think I'm going to move to alaska as soon as it warms up.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Your pizzas look absolutely fabulous!! (Did I leave the same comment on your birthday??)

NO WAY!!... would I be jogging at that temp! The guy has definitely lost his marbles!!

I can't believe you are already that cold. Not sure I'm willing to go back to anywhere near that temp again. Kind of spoiled by our winters here. We just have to suffer the 117+ heat during the summer.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Bill S. said...

You keep the cold - we now are getting your snow. Pizza looks wonderful.

Janie said...

The homemade pizza looks great. Your temps are bone-chilling cold, and so early in the year. Hope you get some warmer days soon.