The White House

The White House

Monday, October 19, 2009

A Sign of Good Things to Come

A few weeks ago when winter decided to change its mind about staying I decided to clean out the pool. I figured it would be so much easier to do it now rather than in the spring. You can see here where I started pressure washing with the intent of pumping out the water and then shovelling out the leaves. Then I got sick.


I made it almost all the way around, but while I was sick the temperatures dropped from the high 40's to the high 20's. Now everything is frozen in place for the winter.


Yesterday the grey skies turned blue and the sun was shining. It was really pretty out.


There's the sun!


Here's another project I was working on when I got sick. I wanted to get all the leaves cleaned now when they are dry rather than in the spring when they are matted and wet. I will plant grass here next summer. I raked what wasn't frozen to the ground and got as far as the clump of trees in the middle before my cough sent me back inside.


I don't think I'm even going to bother with these leaves. They'll wait for spring.


Homer spent all Sunday installing a new hot water heater. The old one is upstairs and it rusted out and has been leaking. As a result we'll have to rip out carpet and maybe some flooring. It's always something, isn't it? The new heater is downstairs with the boiler and water softener so new water lines had to be run to the bathroom upstairs. Tonight he'll run them to the laundry room so I can wash that mound of clothes that has accumulated the last few days. I'm so lucky to have a husband who can take care of these things himself.


The Wee People had craft time. I have no idea why Lucas wanted to paint his orange pumpkin pink, but at least he was entertained for awhile.


Olivia made her pumpkin a rainbow.


Rusty is asking Emily "why did you put this on my head?".


The big news for this morning: my laptop is working. Two years ago while in California at the District Hockey Tournament with Cody my laptop died. Every few months I have tried to turn it on only to get a black screen that says "no operating system found". This morning I tried and *poof* on it came. Is that weird or what? I am going to take this a sign of good things to come. You see my run of bad luck started 23.5 years ago. Crazy you say? Yes it is. For first 18.5 years I was pretty blessed. Life was easy. Then it started. Little things, big things, but always something! Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I am taking this sign and running with it. Life will be good.

5 comments:

B said...

Hey Friend,
The sun is shining...take it, soak it up. Smile through those coughs and play on the laptop.

Your in my prayers, trust me you are.

anymommy said...

Wow. I missed quite a week at your place. I'm so sorry for the sickness, I hope you are all feeling better.

Those birthday bags are darling!! Love it, what a great project.

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...yep! You have turned the corner. Happy day!

gpc said...

Of course it's a sign of good things to come -- that's the only logical explanation! :)

Maggie May said...

I love your family pictures and the captions you wrote for your children, so warm and real.