The White House

The White House

Monday, August 24, 2009

What A Weekend!

Friday I intended to take you through my day and then post that evening. As usual life did not go as planned.

It was a crisp and bright Fall day. Hello!

I took a look at the pile of rocks my husband brought me a long time ago, and thought I should get those put around the pond.

Look what happened! When he returned from Valdez Friday night my rock pile grew!
I managed to haul a few rocks over. Boy, are they heavy! I decided to rest my back and work on rinsing my planting supplies in bleach water before storing for the winter. Finished several hundred and it doesn't even look like I did any! (It doesn't look like much, but there are actually 200 flats and hundred of pots).

The weather sure was cooperative.
There wasn't a cloud to be seen.

Here's where I'll be putting this batch of rocks.
It's been raining for awhile now so the lawn definitely needed mowing.


The lawnmower ran out of gas and it seems maybe "my" gas was put into a motorcycle. This was a good excuse to quit working and go to town for ice cream cones.

After getting a late start the tomatoes are growing like crazy. Unfortunately, I'll shut down the greenhouse before I get much fruit.




The smallest sunflower.

This hammock really interfered with rock packing and container washing. I swear it screams to me every time I am in the yard.
I did manage to finish the mowing before bedtime.

Saturday was an insanely busy day. We were up early and off to football. Elijah only went to 2 out of 3 practices this week so he wasn't the starting quarterback and spent some time standing on the sidelines.

It wasn't long before we were down 14-0. Guess who got to go in and throw a few passes?

It took him four downs to get us in the end zone and on the board. Score: 14-7 and back to the bench. Eielson scored again putting us down 20-7.

Elijah got to go back in and finish out the game. He ran the ball...
....he threw the ball....

...he kicked the ball.


In the 4th quarter it was 20-14. Our defense was rock solid and stopped their drive down the field at our 2 yard line. After a few running plays and passes we worked our way down the field. The coach called a play that Elijah didn't know so the running back told him where he would be.
Standing at the 40-yard line Elijah cocked back and threw the ball....
...right to Tyler who was waiting in the end zone right where he said he'd be.
Touchdown!! We tied the game 20-20 and then Elijah threw a nice short pass to Tyler for the extra point and the WIN! What an exciting game to watch.

The players ran through The Tunnel of Love, and even then my boy is still worrying about his hair! :)

I was very proud my son didn't cop an attitude about being benched, and then came in and got the job done when he was asked to. Maybe he is growing up after all.

Was our day over after an exciting football game? NO. I loaded four boys in my truck and took them home to shower and eat. Then it was off to watch part of the high school game. At the end of the 3rd quarter it was back in the truck with five boys and off to competitive basketball try-outs. When that was done we had less than two hours to eat, get cleaned up and get to Julie's wedding.
And until the wee hours of the morning we had more fun than should be allowed!

Whew! Two exhausting days in a row resulted in an entire Sunday on the couch watching three movies. What will this week bring?

8 comments:

Janie said...

You never seem to have a dull week.
I'm glad to hear that hammock calls to you once in a while. With all the gardening and rock-moving, a person needs a rest!
Sounds like a very exciting game your son starred in.
and the wedding photo looks like you had some exhilarating and uninhibited social fun... No wonder you needed to rest up on sunday.

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...your place looks great! Busy...that would be every day with you! Julie is beautiful. Sounds like you had a great time.

Snowbird said...

I would love to have seen that football game. Yes, you did have a busy weekend. Too busy for these old bones!

Gennasus said...

Great action shots of Elijah and what a fantastic fight back!

It's a shame that your tomatoes won't come to fruition....next year. Love the mini sunflower, though. Too cute.

Patty said...

omgosh, that game sounded so exciting! Pretty soon I will be reading about him the FDNM when he is in High School!

Carla said...

What fun! Love how your flowerbeds filled out:)

Tootie said...

Your yard is so pretty! It makes me sad that the flowers will be gone so quickly. Can't imagine it getting cold already.

Gee....you sure have LONG days! I think you will get Mom of The Year award, hands down. :-)

Pam said...

Great Game Elijah!! wow, your days rival mine for busy!!! good job mom!!!