The White House

The White House

Friday, August 28, 2009

A Rain Free Day

Yesterday I took a stroll through the yard to see what damage was done by the frost.

This is the third summer for this lilac bush and it hasn't grown at all. Any suggestions? The Alaska Mix Nasturtiums didn't fare so well either.

Still lots of lettuce in this bed to eat. Better get to it before it freezes.

This nasturtiums are not doing very well. They are heavy with frost some mornings.

I ran out of plants and threw a couple packets of seeds to try and fill this bed. Something tried to grow and I have no idea what it is.

My alyssum grew really long and leggy this year, not short and petite like last summer. It smells delicious.

The nasturtium bed that was just a filler late in the summer. Not enough time to bloom.


I'm really not looking forward to all this being under snow. You can see that the sun isn't as high in the sky anymore and the trees are really shading the front yard.



The connex is empty and waiting to move. Funding for the gravel pad is the issue. Our money tree was stolen.

Wouldn't a horse look lovely grazing out here? Someday. Soon.
Would you believe I killed all these hanging baskets? It was so hard to drag the hose all the way out there so lack of water was the culprit.

The coconut baskets dry out too fast. With all the rain we have had lately they came back! Next summer I have a liner to put in to hold the water. Also, dear husband is going to run air tubing down the fence and branch out to each basket. I hook my hose up to the end and like magic they will all get watered.
Darn tough plants!

You may be a lover of Fall, but personally, I find this very depressing.

Daisy loves leaves, but only the ones you pick up and feed her. She won't pick them up herself. I don't believe sheep are known for their intelligence.



Slowly cleaning up and putting things away.

Look how far the rocks go around the end now!

This is before...

...and this is after my back-breaking work yesterday. We've decided to move the bottom two rows over to the left to fill in more of the edge, and then haul more gravel to fill in where they were. The big rocks really don't need to come down that low especially since we still need so many more to get the whole pond done.

These are the ones I can't pick up.

The whole time I was working the hammock was screaming at me again.

For just a moment or two I soaked in the warmth of the sun and gazed at clear blue skies.

I could look up and see where the leaves are turning yellow.

When I closed my eyes and the sun beat down on my face all the world's worries faded away. For that brief moment there were no bills to pay, no aching for lost children, no broken hearts, no evil lies. The sadness and troubles of life lifted from my soul. I breathed deeply the smells of Fall and listen to the songs of birds.

And then wham! Nothing brings you back to reality faster than a three-year old shouting "I gotta poop".
Thank goodness he values the importance of my "Let It Be" hammock. When he finished his business he was more than happy to snuggle away our problems.
I sure love this little guy.

8 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

Those were AWESOME!!!!

Absolutely breathtaking.

B said...

First off, I think we need to contact authorities because my money tree was stolen as well.

Secondly, I am a lover of fall, not winter...fall...cooler and I don't sweat so much. You can spend all day outside but then I think I am north when you my friend are the northener.

I think the massage table should be screaming your name after picking those rocks up!

Bill S. said...

You have a beautiful yard. Keep working with the seeds and plants and you will find some that work well.

Pam said...

your yard is beautiful. i am sad with you for the quickly approaching fall... i can see why it is depressing to you, all that beauty & color will be gone! maybe you should print and frame some of those prints for your walls inside so you can remember and have hope during the long winter months!!! :) your hard work has paid off with a beautiful yard! good job!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Your flowers are so lovely. And such hard work!! I do not envy you the preparation for winter!!

I love lilacs. Had at least 6 good sized bushes in my yard in Montana. Can't grow them here. Boo-hoo!! Something you can try to get your bush to grow... my brother does this in his veggie garden and absolutely swears by it (this year he didn't do it and his garden is pretty lame compared to previous years).... He buries dog food under his plants!!! And they thrive!!! It's his *secret* fertilizer!! (So don't tell anyone!!) Maybe you could try that next spring - enhance that bed with some dry dog food and see if you can get that bush to grow. Not sure it would work to do that now. You don't want it to go into some growth spurt that will just die in the freeze. But early next spring give it a whirl. Can't hurt, right??

Queen-Size funny bone said...

thats some life you have here in Alaska. I enjoy hearing about it very much. thanks for sharing.

Janie said...

You worked so hard on your garden. I can see why you would be sad to have the snow fall and spoil it so soon.
Your flowers are beautiful, and so are your children.

Jennifer said...

If I had a yard like yours I would dread the coming fall and winter, too. It would be so sad to see all that beauty and hard work buried under snow.
We rarely get snow here anymore and 31 degrees is a winter temp for us.
You should enjoy that hammock as much as possible before it gets too cold! If you can't sit back enjoy all that beauty after working so hard, then what's the point, you know? Enjoy it, you really deserve to.