The White House

The White House

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where Does the Time Go?

I've got to step up my blogging and get back to daily posts. If not I end up with marathons and I surely don't want to lose your interest! :)

These flowers are so cool the way they open and close with the sun. They really don't thrive here, I think they need warmer temperatures. I grew this pot in the greenhouse all summer and just moved it outside a few days ago.

Last Thursday I dropped Elijah at football practice and was able to go back home for 1.5 hours. Then it was back to get him and go to his umpire duties. I decided to go ahead and wait until he was done. Mistake. It was so awful sitting, listening to a dozen whining, crying kids on the playground behind me being ignored by their parents who were trying to watch the game. I also realized there is this whole generation of parents out there who are raising very wimpy, sniveling kids who get an ice pack for every little bump and bruise. I guess I'm more of a tough love kind of mom. I definitely don't have snivelers. Isn't he handsome?

I attempted to make a water slide with a submersible pump and garden hose because doesn't everyone have a slide laying around in their yard? It worked, but wasn't steep enough to be a thrill for Emily.

Little Lucas is content with an ant in the weeds. Bless his little heart.
We let two of the girls out to help work in the yard. They loved the freedom, but don't listen all that well. I'm so afraid they are going to run in the road and get hit by a car.

These next photos would be appropriately titled: A View From A Hammock








It was great to spend a little time with the hubby.



Then he fell asleep. He's the second one to nap in the hammock...he was there about two hours!
The petunia pots are going crazy.

We moved two spools out of Daisy's pen for the pots to sit on. The spools were for the goats we used to have and since sheep don't jump they were being wasted in there.

Did a little mounding on the potatoes. I sure hope I get a lot because everything else is rather pathetic this year. I got such a late start, and really didn't water/fertilize like I should have. It's hard to continue building and maintain what you have at the same time. Not enough hours in the day. Next year will be a lot better I am sure.

I tried Bells of Ireland (from seed) this year. I remember my mom growing these when I was a kid and I thought they were so different. I was shocked that they made it and I will do even more next year.



My girls love to play dress up. Emily really is a great big sister to Olivia.
Lucas, Olivia, Emily and I went blueberry picking a few days ago. I picked a little over two cups before we had to go home. We waited to late in the afternoon to go and the mosquitoes were out.

Doesn't Daisy look like she wants a kiss? Really she doesn't. She's pretty anti-social.
A lot like her owner.

One of my Barred Rock roosters. I ordered ten straight run chicks and ended up with five hens and five roosters. I'll have to find some of the roosters homes or they'll be dinner.

Raked Daisy's pen and gave the goose a smaller pool. I wanted the boat back to hold the kids' sand toys.

I ended up with a very pretty assortment of chickens.

Elijah has started football and we try to go to practices when we can in between baseball games. Tonight was the first game in the end-of-season baseball tournament. After three hours and nine innings we finally won. I keep score so I don't bother with my camera most of the time. I'll see if I can get a shot tomorrow night. Oh, and Nick is back from Camp Woodward in Pennsylvania. He flew there Saturday the 11th for skateboard camp. He came home Saturday the 18th at 1:40am. He had a great time and loved it there. He made some friends from Jersey. He thinks we should move.
Hope all is well in your world. I'll try to get around to visit. I'm about out of summer anyhow and will be back blogging in full force soon!

9 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

The view from the hammock was great. Nice place to spend some together time ~ or a nap!!

The chicks have sure grown up. Do you have a coop for them to winter over in?

Petunias love pots. I think the more crowded they are, the bushier they get. I can't wait until fall - it's the best time for us to plant flowers. Just to dang HOT in the summer.

Janie said...

I love the view from the hammock, but with all you do, I'm sure you don't spend a lot of time there.
It's always interesting to see how your family, plants, and animals are getting along.

Gennasus said...

Love the hammock shots and also the chickens, they really are a cute bunch. My favourite photo has to be the little running dogs. They look like they're having a ball and the one behind has got Jana's ears on!

I know what you mean about posting more frequently. I'm still catching up with my holiday photos and mammoth posts take up SO much time!

Nellie said...

The girls are so beautiful and the background for the shot is perfect.

Love the "tootsie" shot in the hammock!

I can imagine the great time Nick had at Woodward. My nephew went a couple of times and I went there to watch him. It's an awesome set-up! If he gets to go again, come along too and you can stay with us... free. We're just a hop, skip and jump from the camp. Bring all the kids... they would love the PA mountains!

I'm behind on posting too. Have soooo many pictures to share, but can't seem to find space in the schedule to get it all done. I need lessons from you! I've even missed doing the Ruby Tuesday meme that I love.

Have a great week.

B:-)

Fragrant Liar said...

What gorgeous pictures of such beautiful country.

I love the little doxies running, they always look like they might fly with those ears flapping like that.

Unknown said...

I too, like morning glory (ipomea)in your top picture. We live in Suffolk (England) and most years when I plant them, they are just into full flower when the first frosts come along and kill them off. They seem to grow well in Sussex, on our south coast. I'm afraid you're too far North to grow them successfully. Sorry to be a misery - Mike.

Unknown said...

P.s. The ones I try and grow are the large ones - Heavenly Blue- and they really live up to their name - when they succeed.

Patty said...

The whiney sniveling kid comment cracked me up! BTW, how do you post so many pictures at once? My thing only lets me do like 5, then I have to submit it and do a new page?? how do you do it?

B said...

I loved the pics from the hammock and your hubby works so hard it was great to see him resting! and you too of course.

I took a pic of my petunias to show you...lol..so look for a post just for you. Love the bells of ireland...I did not realize they were so dainty.