The White House

The White House

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Monday's Cloud of Smoke

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Summer in Alaska is about as good as it gets with the endless daylight. With that daylight we tend to get too busy as a result I haven't been blogging (and I really miss it).

Anyhow, if you are interested in catching up and seeing what I've been up to scroll down to the July 2 & 3 post which is then followed by the 4th of July post and then this one. Or don't. Really, I'm cool with it either way.


After a week of searching I finally found my flag. I think he'll stay up all of July just 'cause.


Things are finally growing. Besides getting a late start since we had to build the new beds first, I don't think I'm watering enough as there always seems to be something going on! I'm working on getting better about it.

Snap peas, beets and onions....


Bush beans and lettuce that refuses to grow. I think I got a bad packet of seeds because last year I had tons of lettuce.

Broccoli with radishes.

Potatoes that were started way, way late. Hopefully, we end up with something.



We are trying to work less and play with the kids more. Sunday I walked out of the house to this. It was especially great since this is the third summer we've had the water and only the second time Dad's been in it. Saturday was the first time.

One of my gold dredge buckets. The other one never got planted.
The smokey haze makes the sun red.

That was a big smokey ash plume going by. I could smell the difference. Instead of "just smoke" I could smell the wood. Even though the air is thick with smoke it was still very hot out.
That's mostly smoke...not clouds.

Although I'm loving the heat rain would be a great help to the air quality. It was 80 degrees on Monday, Tuesday's forecast is 83 and Wednesday is 81. All with a 0% chance of precipitation. That's usually the way of things in Alaska...if it is hot the air is thick with smoke.
I weed whacked, weeded and mowed the front. It took 3 hours!! Then I put out the sprinkler. Everything is parched. I can't remember the last time we had rain...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

ok-all caught up with your coming and goings.whew!You tire me out,just reading it.I absolutely adore the picture of you and Olivia in the previous post.That is a keeper!!!

Lori Skoog said...

Nice to have you back! It's crazy, we have had tons of rain..(I love that bucket with the petunias in it)...and have not been near 80... Good to see that your husband takes a break once in awhile. Have you ever stopped?

What do people in Alaska know about the resignation of their Gov. Palin?

Vodka Mom said...

I just ADORE those shots!! Your gardens look great! We have a veggie garden, as well. There is NOTHING like fresh tomatoes!

Deb said...

Great photos - your flower beds are so pretty.

Sorry if I missed it but what is all the smoke from?

I would be happy to send you some of our rain - 29 days worth in June alone. We need sun and heat. Gardens are growing but s-l-o-w.

Thanks for the update - love to see what you all are up to :)

Nellie said...

Welcome back, Gayle. You and your family sure look like they have had some serious fun over the holiday weekend!

I too, wish I could send you some of our rain. Our lawn is looking pretty shabby, but can't get on it with the mower without leaving huge ruts.

Hope none of the fires are within damaging distance of your home. I get behind in the news and didn't realize the fires were happening.

Stay safe and happy.
Barb:-)

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I'll swap, you send me some sun and I will send you all the rain we keep getting. Good to see dad enjoying his hard work in the water.

Hit 40 said...

Beautiful flowers!! I would have to be outside all day to in Alaska when the snow melts!!

Patty said...

As always, great photos. It looks like a great party is held there. I may have to make my way up there fir one of them.

Bethany said...

It looks like you all are enjoying summer, for sure! My grandma and uncle are going to Alaska next month and I'm so jealous!