The White House

The White House

Monday, March 30, 2009

Manic Monday: Bird

Each week Mo brings us Manic Monday.
This week is BIRD!

This gives me a perfect opportunity to share with everyone my bird order for this Spring.

For laying hens I am getting either the Barred Rock or the Australorp because they are kid friendly. Anyone have an opinion? Or a better suggestion? I'll send the order out on Wednesday so tell me what you think!

Barred Rock (Rooster)

Black Australorp (Hen)


The rest of my order is Bantams. I love these little birds as they are the next best thing to parakeets, lovebirds etc. that I can no longer have due to Nicholas' allergy to feathers. The kids (me:) will show these at the fair.
Golden Laced Cochin (Hen)

Partridge Cochin (Hen)

Partridge Cochin (Rooster)

Silver Seabright (Rooster)

Splash Cochin (Rooster)

Splash Rosecomb (Hen)

Splash Rosecomb (Rooster)

White Black Tailed Japanese (Hen)

White Black Tailed Japanese (Rooster)

White Silkie (Hen)

9 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Beautiful looking birds!! Do you get a lot of eggs? I wish I could have some chickens here. LOVE fresh eggs!

Janie said...

Those are some beautiful birds. We kept some laying hens for awhile when our kids were young. It was a fun experience for all.

Durward Discussion said...

I vote for the barred for the big chickens. We had a banty hen for a pet when I was a kid and I just love them. They are pretty bright for a chicken and are affectionate if raised from chicks. Your kids are so lucky.

Tootie said...

Good grief! I'm a farm girl and I didn't even know all of these chickens existed! Oooohhh.....I want a White Silkie one! :-)

You are such a great Mommy!

Marilyn said...

The black tailed Japanese hen is so pretty.

I haven't kept chickens except for a brief stint as a teenager but I always loved to look through the catalog. The fluffy one on the bottom looks fun.

Tink *~*~* said...

My vote is for the zebra chicken! :D

(can you tell I was born and bred in the city?)

Tink *~*~*

Lighthousegal said...

I never thought that I'd say this....but, you actually have some pretty cool looking chickens. Nothing like the ones I grew up getting flogged by. Maybe that's where my dislike for birds started. Hmmmmm.

Snowbird said...

Love the White Silky. Except for the beak you wouldn't know there was a chicken under all that fuzz.

Carla said...

Talk about fancy roosters!! (cute kiddos too)