The White House

The White House

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Snow Day

Somewhere around 1pm I got this idea that it would be fun to take the Wee People outside (in the snow, in the cold) and start a fire. I HATE cold. I HATE snow. Not the brightest idea I've had lately. Anyhow, it takes about twenty minutes to get us all dressed and out the door. Incidentally, that's about how long they lasted outside!

Gee, aren't they cute? Lukey is pointing to an airplane flying over the house.

So first I had to shovel out the fire pit. (I thought to get the camera after I had already started). Mind you, this is a job that was assigned to the three teenage boys that live in (destroy) my house. A week and a half ago! They ignored me. Like always.


Here the Wee People are loving the snow!

Isn't that such a lovely walk to shovel? (sarcasm!)

Lucas refused to look at the camera and gave me his pouty face. (He went in shortly after this). I can (painfully) see now that this coat is too small for him. He has another coat, but I think it's in the truck.

The babies went in to watch a movie so Doofus...er, I mean Roscoe helped me out.




Take note...it is dark. Much darker than when I started shovelling that snow! And it's only 4:30 in this oh-so-dark photo! See the snow that isn't there (okay, I realize you can't really see it, but imagine it)? I carry it all the way to the end to toss off the bank otherwise the lawn never dries out in the spring.

The "smoke" you see is my breath. I forgot to hold it when I took the photo.
Now I'm holding my breath. Nice clean walkway and stairs!

I'm burning paper and it's really getting going.

I can see the sidewalk!

And the stairs are clean, too!
On a side note....it was about +5 when I started and -2 when I finished. Yes, my beer froze.
Oh, and for the Mean-agers who were supposed to shovel the walk
I'm pretty sure that X-Box 360 fell off the bottom of the Christmas List!
(I mean, really, did you think I'd be happy you ignored me? I'm pretty sure this job split between three young men would have been much easier than it was on this Mom with a bad back that is now killing me. I thank you for my pain).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hate snow, Gayle ?! A serious disconnect here, I think. I hate it too, learned that in 1947. We used to wear short trousers in those days.
I do think the X-Box should go - you seem to work so hard for them.
Are you providing the major meal today? And dare I say Happy Thanksgiving ?

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle
Great post. Blackmail works well with teenagers! If you don't.....I won't....
I hope you wear long underwear when you are out there.
Lori

Anonymous said...

You do good work! I'm also on the No-X-Box wagon! If the problem is that they won't go out to shovel, why give them something that keeps them sitting on the couch inside?! Get them warm gloves and a new shovel! :D I hope they are feeling more thankful today! (I am!)

Anonymous said...

we rarely shovel. Our dog seems to pack it down enough. I don't mind the snow, it's the cold I prefer not to be in!

Becky said...

atleast you said thank you for your pain. hope that your thanksgiving turned out ok. we had a toasty day reaching 80. uhg, i would have liked to atleast worn a sweater and gotten more in the holiday mood.

Nellie said...

Hi Gayle,
Yeah for the no-X-box plan! I agree with Gail about the warm gloves and shovel too. Hope the rest of your day turned out okay; you sure can be thankful for those two cute wee ones!

B:-)

Tootie said...

Gayle, it looks soooo cold there! I understand why you wanted to see Santa under a palm tree. :-)Poor thing, make those boys do that work next time.

Fairy Mae said...

We don't have any snow here yet...I'm glad.