The White House

The White House

Monday, October 20, 2008

Manic Monday: Bite

Visit Mo at Manic Monday and join in!

I haven't participated in Manic Monday for some time, but BITE was one I couldn't pass up. I most definitely am the kind of person who "bites off more than I can chew", and then I pay for it dearly. Saying NO doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary so I always seem to have four or five commitments to others going at one time. Of course, I don't want to fail and make a fool of myself so I do whatever possible to complete the task which usually involves running myself into the ground!
On top of outside commitments, I then decide I can do all this crafty stuff. So I have stacks of scrapbooks like this....

Is it really plausible to keep scrapbooks for six children? I should have been more sensible and just put photos in regular photo albums with a little journal. Of course, now that I've started I'm determined to finish. Maybe when they are 30 they'll get their albums!

Then there is this....

...sewing. I seem to get some crazy notion that I have time to make Christmas presents. Right. And pigs fly. This was started two years ago. I plan to finish this year. That is only the tip of the fabric iceberg of unstarted/unfinished projects.

I have three knitting projects going right now and baskets of yarn. I knit way to slow to have three things going at once! Again, not well thought out.

Having 19 animals to care for (that doesn't include the six children!) is probably not wise. I have so little time as it is....

And I garden excessively. Do I really need that many flowers? I plan on having even more next year.

We are remodelling. That's such a huge task in itself. We may have bit off more than we can chew on that one as well. Six active kids take most of our time.

You know, if I didn't BITE off more that I can chew I just wouldn't be me, would I? I mean, that's really who I am. A little stressed, a little hyper, a lot tired, a bit overwhelmed...that is what makes me ME. If all my projects were finished I'd just have too much idle time. Not a good thing. :)

Do you bite off more than you can chew?

12 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle....of course I bite off more than I can chew...more days than not. In the long run, I think it is very good for me to be so busy...and you too.
Do you get any sleep?
Lori

Anonymous said...

I am getting better at it. I was like you. I had to get into every single craft and buy all the supplies for things I never made. Three moves in six years has cured me of it. I don't do that any more.

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize - I have about 4 scrapbooks that were promised to people 2 years ago that still aren't done. Then there's all the yarn and quilting fabric...Yep, I definitely bite off too much. Thanks for your comment on my blog!

After Hours said...

Wow you have a lot of stuff going on at once. Multitasking is such a mom thing. I do it all the time. Not at your extent though or I'd lose my mind and my stuff!

Great Post!

maryt/theteach said...

Gayle, I used to bite off more than I can chew but not anymore... I'm getting old and tired. :) Happy MM!
19 animals and 6 kids? Yikes!

Barb said...

You must be my cosmic twin. Overachieve much, honey? I use to do all that stuff, but I quit cold turkey. Thank Goodness! Everyone knew my at Joann Fabric. I was the one who bought fabric by the bolts. I bought entire dye lots of yarn, you know... just in case.

19 animals? Are you kidding? I just scrolled through and saw no photos of pets... you are kidding, right?

Queen-Size funny bone said...

just keep chewing...

Maria's Space said...

Gayle, I think it is human nature.

It is a lovely gesture to think about doing all of that for your 6 kids who will undoubtedly tell you to put it on a zip drive for them because they don't want to carry around scrapbooks. I feel like I spend so much time writing things for my kids who will not appreciate it in the long run but we do what we love.

Linda said...

I probably do bite off more than I can chew also but certainly not in as big of mouthfuls as you have! You have got quite the massive platefuls in front of you! Good luck!!

Amazing Gracie said...

Holy Cow! I have a sister!!! I'm not kidding - well, minus the kids and 15 of the pets!
I am a "craftaholic." We need a group and meetings - that we'd never attend. Good intentions, ya know?
Thanks for the visit, btw.
~~~Blessings~~~

Travis Cody said...

I know what you mean about having too many projects going at once. But I've decided to look at the positive side.

What is the positive side?

Well, look at it like this - there's always something to do!

**wink**

Tink *~*~* said...

I'm a reformed biter-offer. There was a time that I was having a major career on Wall Street complete with mandatory 12-15 hour day (that included the four hour round trip daily commute), AND I was earning my B.A. in psychology, AND I was learning entire operas in other languages and performing them on the weekends! I look back and go, "wtF was I thinking?" I like my telecommuter Floridian life much better!

Tink *~*~*