The White House

The White House

Monday, May 28, 2012

Oh My Aching Back

What a day Sunday was. I slept in until 9:30am and most likely could have slept longer. All that soggy-leaf packing is hard on a body. At ten I was out  in the yard with the animals.  It was determined the nozzle on the pressure washer had cracked. Homer and Olivia were off to the store to get a new one and I tended to my plants.

Started by watering the greenhouse. My strawberries are growing nicely. I still haven’t tackled the cantaloupe.


Fertilized my Rhododendrons and planted Purple and Silver Tidal Wave Petunias in the wash tub. Also packed fertilizer out to my hanging baskets, but forgot to photograph.


I  have a flat of Hybrid Petunias. I had sprinkled the seeds thinking I would transplant them into 6-packs. Never happened. There are so many in it! I put 31 in the watering cans and a bucket.


The tomatoes have now passed the shelf. It’s still May. Where are they going to go in June, July and August?


I have 166 wave petunias transplanted into bigger cups and fertilized. We’ll see if it makes a difference. I have probably another 150 that I haven’t got to yet. May be too late to bother.


At 12:30pm I started with the pressure washer on the upper pond. Nick came  home and was a big help running pumps, moving things and sucking the last of the gunk out for me.


I think this will be the summer we get the last of the rocks. I can’t spend another summer looking at it unfinished.


He took the 4-wheeler for a ride and got a little muddy so when we were done with the pool I cleaned it as well. Grandma and Grandpa stopped by for some flowers and took the little ones with them for part of the day while we worked. (Homer was rebuilding the power steering pump in the dump truck). I stopped  briefly and figure I spent 7.5 hours just on the pool and another hour cleaning up. We came in the house at 10:00pm where my aching back collapsed on the couch and Homer made us dinner.


At 7:15am I woke to the sound of the dump truck driving away as he headed out for the first load. To be honest it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed.


It takes about 18 hours of non-stop driving to fill the pool…. it’s an hour a load, 2000 gallons a load and it’s about 36,000 gallons to fill it – give or take a few thousand. He won’t be able to finish today, but it will be close.

I have planting to do and I have to call all the soccer parents that I forgot to call yesterday. Oops. Also need to prepare for practice and get all the paperwork together. It’s going to be another busy day!


Nancy J said...

This pool fascinates me. where do you go to get the water? And how deep is it when full? I like the rocks around the edge, and yes, will look so good when all the rocks are at the edge.Petunias are so pretty when in full flower. Cheers from Jean.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I think you have the coolest pool ever!

FlowerLady said...

Gayle ~ My back would be aching after all of that too. I, also, would like to know where you get your water and do you have to pay for it? The kids do love that pool every summer that's for sure.

Have a GREAT week ~ FlowerLady