The White House

The White House

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Have Three Eyes

Where to start?

After posting last night things were in the toilet. Elijah was in a considerable amount of pain. He began hallucinating which led to panic attacks which led to hyperventilating which led to being put on oxygen. After that few hours passed and he calmed down he then became disoriented which led to him freaking out again. In the middle of all that was the constant pain (or inability to deal with some pain from being so over tired because he's pretty drugged up).

I fiddled and fumbled from midnight until 5:30 AM to find anything to make him comfortable so he would quit freaking out and think I had three eyes. Another night without sleep.

A hot wash cloth.

Yep, that's all it took. I put a hot wash cloth on the left side of his neck and he went right to sleep. The doctor suspects he was having muscle spasms. I would rather try to keep it under control with warm towels, but they will give him Valium if I want. Personally, he has enough damn meds in him so if  a little more work on my part will prevent it I think that's the way to go.

Thank God for my dear husband. I passed out completely and for the most part so did Elijah. When he needed tending to Homer took care of it so I could sleep/rest until around 2:00PM (I think).

After a very restful day OT showed up to assess Elijah's arm and make plans to work with it. I'm supposed to make sure he squeezes a stress ball ten times an hour all day long yet here we are 10 hours later and no ball. Details. I'm also supposed to encourage him to do things for himself...feeding, dressing, etc. to keep the left arm moving. I can tell he is already losing strength in it from laying around.

After OT was PT. She did her assessment and then when we were getting him up my ex walked in the door with Emily. I had requested a bit of a warning, but apparently that was too much to ask. Hopefully, Emily didn't hear what Elijah said and the therapist shooed them out until we had him situated in a chair. The lower half of the leg is still a club that lands however it wants, but he seemed to be lifting with the upper half of his leg much better. Tomorrow someone will come cast his leg to make a plastic brace to hold the foot and ankle straight.

Being the meaner I am I made him sit in the chair for about 30 minutes during which time Homer and I talked with his dad and Emily. He ignored it all. The next big surprise was his best buddy who is a neighbor showed up with two other friends. Jordan's mom drove 360 miles for a ten minute visit just to drive home again. Amazingly considerate woman. It was an emotional moment when both boys cried over the realization of how so much will be changed if Elijah doesn't recover.

Once everyone left Homer went shopping for us, Emily and her dad dropped off some fish, jerky and pajamas for Elijah. Then it was room cleaning, dinner and email checking time. Homer went to sleep about 9:00 as he hasn't slept for several days either and I've stayed up. About to catch me a couple hours right now so maybe I can get my days and nights turned back around. I finally got some clippers after asking someone to shave his head for three days and I worked on shaving the rest of his very long hair off, but his head hurt too much. I'm about 1/2 done and the clippers have to go back in six hours. Nice. Maybe at meds  at 4:00AM he'll let me finish.

I can't get the mobile blogging thing to work to upload photos. Maybe I'll be able to figure it out tomorrow. It will be another long and busy day trying to help my son recover. If you have questions, please, ask them and I'll do a Q&A later today. Having all of you to "talk" to is relieving. Thanks!


FlowerLady said...

Dear Gayle ~ My heart goes out to all of you. I feel like you and Homer are doing the best you can under the circumstances. Lovingly taking care of Elijah and being there for him is just what he needs right now.

Love, hugs and prayers for all of you.


Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are gradually improving. Good that you got some rest. Your neighbor is something, driving all those miles for a very short visit.

RottenMom said...

Thanks for the update Gayle. The hot washcloth, Mama always knows best. Poor, poor kid, of course he is anxious and upset. Your other children must be so worried, I am sure that Emily is happy she had a chance to visit with him. Please take care of yourself as you take care of your boy.

Love to you my sweet lady.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I know how tiring this can be. My brother suffered a traumatic brain injury a month ago from a bicycle accident. He's still in a coma. It is a lot of work on the family but so worth it in the long run. Those brain injuries can take a while for the swelling to go down and healing to occur. Many thoughts and prayers coming your way for a speedy recovery for your son.

Lucy Keturi said...

Ah Gayle i wish I was there to give you a hug in person. You guys are amazing! I am so proud of Elijah for working so hard and for standing up for what he wants when his dad p[ops in for a surprise visit! I am glad that he brough Emily though as she probably really wanted to see Elijah! And what a great friend he has to show up for a ten minute visit! He will need those friends as well as your amazing strength in the days to come! Please let me know if you need anything at the home front or in Anchorage. I have a ton of family there that would drop anything to bring you whatever you guys need or to give you a break, or a hug! please call and let me know or message me. Take care my firend, you guys are surrounded by prayer

Queen-Size funny bone said...

do they have him in the air things to keep the circulation going in this legs?

anymommy said...

I just want you to know I'm here, reading and hoping and pulling for him. love you.

Amanda said...

Thinking of you today! Hope no news is good/better news. I keep thinking about you all!

RottenMom said...

I am hoping your silence means that you are far too busy taking care of Elijah to update your blog.

Thinking about and praying for him everyday. XO

FlowerLady said...

Dear Gayle ~ Just a note to let you know I'm thinking about you all, and hope things are progressing well for Elijah. Maybe I missed an update.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Gayle - what an ordeal for you. Your strength is amazing. Take care of yourself. Sending healing thoughts from PA to Alaska.

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my gosh, Gayle. I am horrified that I am just now reading all this. I haven't allowed myself to read blogs....and then I was camping for 4 days. So many prayers coming your way. I'm nervous that there hasn't been an update since Tuesday. I hope no news is good news. hugs!

FlowerLady said...

Dear Gayle ~ I've been thinking about you and checked today to see if there is any news with Elijah.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Alexicographer said...

Here via AnyMommy, thinking of you.