The White House

The White House

Monday, August 31, 2009

Busy Weekend

Saturday was a beautiful, rain-free day. Elijah went to cheer on his football team and the little man and I went out to do chores.

Letting Roscoe run free was not one of my better ideas.

The geese were circling high overhead looking for a wind current to carry them home.

The grass really grows with all the rain so I mowed this side...

...while Daisy mowed the other side.

This bank has yet to get planted and the weeds were irritating me.

I decided to mow them down and while it doesn't look steep in the photo I about killed myself. That bank is going to have to have a more gentle slope before it is planted with grass since I am the mower of the family.

Well, hello Miss Daisy. I took a break to run Elijah and Tyler from their football game over to Monroe to watch High School Volleyball, and then they went to David's house to wait for Homer to get off work and pick them up.

Back at home I heard Hans say, "Hey, someone left the gate open."

"Lady, are you sure I'm not going to get into trouble?"
"Finally, it's my turn to swim."

Roxie and Hans say hello.
He even played in the sprinkles. I'll be pumping the water out soon so I figured a few swims for him was in order.

My beautiful girls.

Despite the cold and rain there are flowers still trying to bloom.

I collected a considerable amount of seeds.

Lucas wanted to help.



It was warm and sunny. Emily played school with Lucas and Olivia. Lucas did not get it and I believe I overheard the teacher giving him a DR.

Budler's Shivering Roxie or just Roxie to us.

All school days should include nap time in the sun.
Emily helped harvest the snapdragon seeds. I have lots of pods to lay out and dry now.

It was a lovely evening.

The corner of the property was overgrown with 2-3 foot tall wild rose bushes and lots of weeds. The daisy's didn't do so well here as it was too shaded.
After a lot of 4-wheel drive mowing aka a lot of back muscle I got it chewed up. The debris is about 2-4 inches thick. My next task is to rake it up and put it all in the compost bins. Then I'll plant grass in this area. Making as much grazing land as possible.
Elijah, Tyler and David came back to the house for a short time, but then ended up spending the night at the neighbors. Dad and Lucas fell asleep so the girls and I roasted marshmallows by the fire. Rolonda, her aunt and her sister even stopped by for a visit by the fire.
Boy, am I thankful we took advantage of Saturday's sunny day to be outside because Sunday we woke up to pouring rain and lots of puddles. It was also a day to be spent in the truck. Emily had a 2-4 birthday party and Elijah & Tyler had 3-5 basketball so guess who got to sit in town all day. Boring.
I guess I should have mowed this after all. Now it is just soaked.

Some of my hanging baskets are still alive!

While I drove back and forth in town all day, Dad went out in the pouring rain to work on the animal pen. First he put up another fence to move Daisy and Hans to. Then he took down their pen so he could drop the trees. Eventually this is where the chickens will be and we want to be able to cover the entire pen with a net to keep out the owls.

Lucas even geared up to help dad.

After all my running I came home and baked cookies for lunches and an apple pie. It's the first pie I have done in years and it was so easy. No excuses not to do it more often.


Now it is time to get to work!!

5 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Gayle: you are an inspiration with all the work you do. But girl, get yourself a riding lawn mower.

Did I understand you and you are draining the pool? Can you turn it into an ice rink?

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...everything up there looks GREAT! Your gardens are hanging in there. Love the photo of your daughter in front of the fire...Daisy and the goose are looking good. So glad he was able to go in the water...must have been like heaven!
Would not mind a piece of that apple pie. Guess you are just hanging around doing nothing as usual....

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I still think Daisy needs a friend. you can ship that pie my way. I hope all your seed gathering works for next year.

Janie said...

The pie looks delicious.
Poor Roscoe. I guess he got in trouble right away.
I'm always impressed with how you involve your children in all of your projects. You're such a great mom!

Unknown said...

Your apple pie looks perfect. I'm drooling. Well done.
Mike.