The White House

The White House

Friday, October 3, 2008

Show and Tell Friday


This week I am participating in a meme called "Show & Tell" at Kelly's House. I'm sharing a quilt made by my paternal grandmother Evangeline Catherine Reeder Simmons. She lived in Chewelah, Washington and died when my father was only five around 1933. I am not sure what year she made the quilt. My great-Aunt Anna Banks gave this to me when I went to college at Eastern Washington University in 1985. Since then this is only the third time it has been unpacked. I really don't think the quilt was ever used. It looks brand new. Someday I hope to be able to display it for everyone to enjoy. There's really no point in saving it if it's never seen.

There are 18 blocks of the girl in the bonnet.




This is the back of the quilt.


Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at a quilt that means so much to me.

18 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Gayle...my Mom made many, many quilts. I will have to photograph some tomorrow. Yours is very unique...ours are more patch worky. I agree, put it out where it can be seen.
Lori

Gattina said...

What a very beautiful quilt ! This little girl was later well known under the name "Miss Petticoat" !

Grammy said...

What a wonderful quilt it is a treasure indeed to have something made by your grandma.

Tink *~*~* said...

The girl in the bonnet reminds me of Holly Hobbie from the "old days" - remember her?

Holly Hobby images"

check her out!

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Lisa Cobler said...

What a wonderful treasure! My grandma made quilts and they are so special to our family.

Anonymous said...

What a great keepsake to have! Awesome

Charlotte said...

What a beautiful quilt. It reminds me of the quilts my paternal grandmother used to make. I remember going to her house as a kid and all the quilts on her beds were hand made. I'm 72 years old now so those quilts would really be old now. I wish I had just one of them.

Lady Katherine said...

What a wonderful quilts that made it through the years, with no wear. The pattern is wonderful. It looks sort of like sunbonnett sue, but different. Lucky you

Clare said...

What a lovely quilt.
I made a pink patchwork one awhile ago and it come in handy when the autumn chill is upon us.
Thanks fo sharing this.
Clare

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a lovely quilt! I grew up in Washington State - Tacoma.

Manuela

Anonymous said...

it is a beautiful quilt- you definitely should display it and enjoy looking at it.

blessings
gail

Carrie said...

What a charming quilt...it's great that you have this lovely heirloom to treasure and share!

American Homemaker said...

I love your quilt... It is beautiful!

Mommy said...

Oh wow! That is such a *beautiful* quilt! I love the stitching on it. And the lady in the bonnet is so elegant. Not like the usual sunbonnot sue quilts I see.

What a treasure it must be to have! Yes do hang it up for everyone to see!

Thank you for stopping by my Show and Tell. :)

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful quilt, there's lots of hard work & love that went into that quilt, I'm sure it will come to you just how you want to display it
Helen

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful! I love the primitive design.

Kathi said...

That is such a sweet quilt. Somebody when to a lot of work. Kathi

Pamela said...

What a treasure! I remember having a quilt that my grandmother made when I was a child but I don't remember what became of it. Yours is an heirloom.